Tuesday, December 20, 2011
Bryan's Coulter Airfield receives state funding for weather system
The City of Bryan has partnered with the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) Aviation Division and the Bryan Business Council (BBC) to purchase an Automated Weather Observing System, or AWOS, for Coulter Airfield. Approximately $140,000 has been awarded to Coulter through TxDOT’s Aviation Facilities Grant Program to help purchase the system.
The AWOS will provide the citizens of Bryan and Brazos County with an early warning system for severe weather and will make Coulter Airfield in Bryan an official weather reporting station. The AWOS system will also help improve long-range forecasting abilities for meteorologists in the area.
The AWOS will observe temperature and dew point in degrees Celsius, wind speed and direction in knots, visibility, cloud coverage up to twelve thousand feet, altimeter setting and present weather conditions, including freezing rain and thunderstorms (lightning).
The AWOS will provide pilots weather information directly from Coulter Airfield when a pilot is getting weather briefings, and the data will also be available through the NOAA data base. Accurate and up-to-date weather information is essential to the safe and economic operation of any airport, large or small.
Preliminary cost estimates for an AWOS are approximately $150,000 to $200,000. The project will be funded by the TxDOT Aviation grant (75%) and the Bryan Business Council (remaining 25%).
For more information, contact:
Cortney Harris C.M.
Airport Manager – Coulter Field Airport
© Copyright 2003-2013, City of Bryan