Thursday, September 11, 2008
HURRICANE IKE UTILITY TIPS
Residents should prepare for water and electric impacts, turn OFF irrigation systems
Bryan, TX – Brazos Valley area residents should prepare for impacts on utilities.
Brian Hilton, EOC Director, said, “Both cities of Bryan and College Station operate public utilities, so its important for us to remind residents of safety tips in this time of emergency planning.”
Here are some tips from College Station utilities departments:
Electric Utility Storm Restoration Information for College Station Utilities Customers and the Public:
- Safety – don’t go near a downed power line. Call College Station Utilities Dispatch to report all downed power lines at 764-3638. Bryan Texas Utilities 24-hour hotline is (979) 822-3777
- Customers may lose power due to high winds blowing trees and debris into power lines or snapping utility poles. Depending upon the severity of the problem, power will be restored as soon as possible. News updates will be given on the severity of electrical outages in College Station.
- For safety considerations, crews will not be dispatched to outage areas during dangerous storm conditions.
- All outages and power related problems should be reported to the CSU Electric Dispatch Center at 764-3638. An automated trouble call answering system may be activated during a time period of high call volume. A response to all outage calls will be made as soon as possible.
- In case of a power outage, turn all air-conditioning units and high power use equipment off until after power is restored.
- Please be patient – power will be restored first to hospitals and other emergency operations locations.
Residents Asked to Curb Water Use In The Event Of Power Failures
- In the event of power failures caused by Hurricane Ike, the City of College Station wishes to remind its customers that water distribution and wastewater collection capabilities may be affected.
- As a precaution, in the event of any power outages impacting the City of College Station, residents are asked to use only the water they need for immediate health and sanitation purposes. This includes water for drinking, bathing and hand-washing, flushing toilets, and cooking. In addition, College Station Water Services is also asking all businesses and homeowners to turn OFF their automatic irrigation systems starting Thursday.
- Limiting water use to only essential health and sanitation purposes will help the City of College Station maintain adequate supply, system integrity and water quality during and immediately following any power outages caused by the storm.
- The City of College Station has procedures in place to maintain the integrity of the water and wastewater system in the event of emergencies, but is asking its customers to limit water use to essential health and sanitation purposes during the event of a power outage caused by Hurricane Ike.
- For College Station water outages, please call (979) 764-6223 or (979) 764-3638.
- For Bryan, please call (979) 209-5900 or (979) 822-3777.
City of Bryan Contact:
College Station Contact:
© Copyright 2003-2013, City of Bryan