Bryan continues to grow in leaps and bounds, and as more new residents arrive to enjoy our thriving downtown, desirable quality of life and excellent schools, they do so in the knowledge that these programs – and numerous others from the Bryan Police Department – are providing them with the safety and security that Bryan residents have come to expect. It’s just another reason that people want to experience “The Good Life, Texas Style.”
Bryan received its official designation as a Texas Music Friendly Community from the Texas Music Office on March 2, 2022, marking an important milestone in recognizing the importance of music in Bryan. As a designated community, Bryan will join a network of Texas communities putting an emphasis on attracting and developing music industry growth.
The certification establishes that the City of Bryan is serious about attracting and developing music industry growth and builds upon the already strong music and arts community in Bryan and complements the city’s designation as a Texas Film Friendly city.
“Music binds friends and strangers together, punches at our gutteral instincts while simultaneously touching our soul. It’s also the glue connecting Downtown Bryan’s designated cultural district, Lake Walk and Midtown with residents, businesses and visitors. Thank you Governor Abbott for officially designating the City of Bryan to be a Music Friendly Community, and a special thanks to all involved in helping the City of Bryan achieve this special cultural designation.”said Bryan Mayor Andrew Nelson.
While recognition impacts tourism and the local economy, providing more opportunities and space for talent and music-related businesses to shine has a more significant effect on the community it serves.
“Music is at the heart of culture and community everywhere, but with this program, we have an opportunity to promote our diverse talent and celebrate our unique culture of music right here in Bryan.” Said Joey Dunn, Deputy City Manager and City of Bryan liaison for the Texas Music Office. “From singer-songwriters to instrument repair shops to live events downtown being a certified Music Friendly Community means we are serious about seeing our unique culture thrive and grow.”
To celebrate Bryan’s designation, the public is invited to attend a night of celebration of Bryan’s music scene during First Friday at the Grand Stafford Theater on March 4, 2022. Following an official proclamation ceremony, enjoy a free concert featuring the Mark Daniel Band and the up and coming country artist Brandon Hodde. Doors open at 7:00 p.m.
Bryan’s Music Friendly Community certification included the designation of a local advisory board made up of local musicians, music venue owners, a City of Bryan liaison and other local industry representatives:
- Jose Quintana – (Board Chair) President at AdventGX, Grand Stafford Theater and Founder of the Innovation Underground
- Joey Dunn – (Texas Governor Music Office Liaison) City of Bryan, Deputy City Manager
- Dary Dega – Owner and President of DEGALLERY
- Marcelo Bussiki – Music Director for the Brazos Valley Symphony Orchestra, Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs, Blinn College
- Eli Jones – Ph.D, Texas A&M University, Dean and Professor of Marketing
- Fern Jones – Destination Bryan Board Member, Singer/Songwriter
- Anjuli (AJ) Renold – Executive Director at American Red Cross
- Sheree Boegner – Executive Director at The Arts Council of Brazos Valley
- Jennifer King – Director of Operations at AdventGX
- Rachel Postma – Board Certified Music Therapist, Singer/Songwriter
- Toby Pipes – Recording Engineer, Musician, Producer
- John Friebele – Executive Director, Destination Bryan
- David Cooper – Owner, David O. Cooper Design & Consulting, Songwriter/Producer
- Joey McGee – Texas Singer/Songwriter
- Support Team: Alyson Mullins (Community Liaison), Zach Huseth (Project Coordinator)
To learn more about certified Music Friendly Communities you can visit the Texas Music Office website: https://gov.texas.gov/music/page/music-friendly-communities
Read the Governor’s announcement here: https://gov.texas.gov/news/post/governor-abbott-announces-bryan-designated-as-music-friendly-community