Skip to main content

City of Bryan, Texas



facebook icon twitter icon instagram icon pinterest icon flickr icon youtube icon
August 11, 2020

Doing home renovations? You probably need a permit

Doing some home renovations? Before you get started, make sure you check with the City of Bryan’s Development Services Department to see if you need a permit to do the work.

Buildings permits ensure the work that is being done is done so in a safe manner and that the improvements are built to city-approved construction standards. No matter what the specific job may be, the enforcement of building codes protects public health and safety for construction projects and protects the investment you have in your home.

Obtaining a permit gives you legal permission to start construction and has these other positive benefits. It ensures that contractors do good work. Profit-driven contractors might be tempted to cut corners, but a building permit ensures that they use safe construction methods and materials. And, an inspection ensures you that the contractor did the work correctly. It also protects your home’s value. Permits are public record, and potential home buyers can see whether improvements to the home were completed with the proper permits.

Which types of things need permits?

  • Fences over 7’ in height
  • Masonry fences
  • Masonry work (brick or stone veneer)
  • Foundations
  • New or replacement siding
  • New or replacement stucco
  • Doors / windows (new and replacements )
  • Roofing, re-roofing, or roof replacement
  • Mechanical / HVAC systems
  • Electrical systems
  • Plumbing systems
  • Decks over 30” off grade
  • Storage buildings on concrete foundations
  • Storage buildings on skids over 120 square feet in area.
  • New homes or structures
  • Additions
  • Exterior remodeling
  • Interior remodeling
  • Carports
  • Garage enclosures
  • Renovations
  • Mobile Homes
  • Prefabricated structures
  • Temporary Buildings
  • Demolitions
  • Driveways / sidewalks
  • Water heater replacements
  • Insulation
  • Swimming Pools / hot tubs 24” or more in depth
  • Retaining walls over 4’ in height

What type of things do not need permits?

  • Exterior Painting (outside historic districts)
  • Interior painting, wall papering or similar finish work
  • Cabinets and counter tops
  • Swings and playground equipment
  • Wood fences 7’ or less in height
  • Residential storage buildings on skids less than 120 square (must meet setback requirements and not located in easements or floodplain)

If your project needs a permit, you should obtain that permit before starting any of the construction. For more information on beginning the permitting process, go to our permitting process page or call 979.209.5030.

Share This:   share on facebookTweet This!