The City of Bryan’s Information Technology (IT) Department is a team of dedicated public servants committed to providing technology solutions that are effectively aligned with business requirements and City mission. While the IT Department’s primary focus is supporting internal City operations 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we also serve the community as needed, partnering with governmental agencies, civic groups, law enforcement and education.
We provide technology services and support for approximately 1,000 internal users in the following primary areas:
- Network Infrastructure Design and Support – Coordinates the strategic technology direction for the City. Develops common technology standards, architectures and business solutions to deliver City services more efficiently and at the best value for the citizens of Bryan.
- Technology Planning – Assists all City departments in developing proposals for information technology projects; including development of technical specifications, requests for proposals and project planning services. Develops and implements a life-cycle planning, purchasing and replacement policy for all technology assets.
- Communications – Responsible for both licensed and unlicensed data and voice communication systems. We maintain several miles of fiber optic cable that is the backbone of our communication network. Primary provider of support for all radio communications infrastructure and primary City interface to third party vendors.
- Geographic Information Services – The GIS group is responsible for maintaining the City’s enterprise GIS as it relates to the City’s basemap data and all GIS integrated systems and applications. The group manages and maintains over 500 data layers utilized by all City departments through desktop and custom built applications, or by our citizens and the local community through publicly facing, web based map services. System maintenance and technical support of our state-of-the-art applications and software are also a core responsibility of this group, both to our desktop users as well as server hardware.
- Electric Utility Operation – Maintains applications such as Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition (SCADA), Outage Management System and Automated Metering Infrastructure (AMI), as well as the communications network to support the reliable and continuous supply of energy to the customer.
- Utility Metering and Billing – Provides support on the applications and infrastructure to support Bryan Texas Utilities in the billing of approximately 50,000 customers, including those that use the City of Bryan’s water, wastewater and/or solid waste services. This also includes ensuring communications with all AMI enabled electric and water meters so that the reads are available for billing.
- Public Safety (Police, Fire and Municipal Court) – Manages and maintains all technology related public safety systems, including Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD), Records Management Systems (RMS), E-Ticket Writers, public safety radios, pagers, Mobile Data Terminals (MDT’s), in-car video, desktop computers, laptops/tablets and other technology related systems.
- Regulatory & Compliance – Remain current on rules and regulations from FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission), NERC (North American Electric Reliability Corporation), TRE (Texas Reliability Entity), Critical Infrastructure Protection (CIP), PUCT (Public Utility Commission of Texas), ERCOT (Electric Reliability Council of Texas), Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS), Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (TLETS), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Red Flags Rules and Payment Card Industry (PCI) to ensure we are operating within the published guidelines.
- Wholesale Power Marketing – Hosts and maintains servers and software that transmit and receive real-time power market data with ERCOT 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This provides the opportunity to purchase and sell power on the ERCOT open market.
- Training – Provide and coordinate technical training and support, as needed.
- Help Desk Services – Desktop systems, software and hardware support.
- Telecommunications and Mobile Technology – Administrative and technical support for the City’s telephone systems, outside telephone service for voice and data and mobile device management.
Provide the City with timely and cost-effective access to existing technologies appropriate to the mission and meet the goals of the City of Bryan.
- Support Citizens, Customers and Employees with superior customer service
- Communicate effectively by actively promoting, procuring and coordinating the regular use of technologies to improve all levels of City-wide communication
The vision of the City of Bryan Department of Information Technology is to be a customer-focused, cost effective and efficient IT operation that is recognized for its responsiveness, flexibility, and the effectiveness of the solutions it provides and supports.
In addition to the mission statement, goals, and vision, there are several guiding principles that we use in IT to provide daily direction and focus.
- Committed to customer service – Serve the needs of its internal and external customers and the citizens of the City of Bryan by focusing on providing value in every interaction.
- Building customer relationships – Build strong, effective relationships with all City departments so that we understand their needs and can plan how best to meet them.
- Communication – Another corollary to customer service is the need to constantly update customers on what we are doing to solve their problems and on project progress.
- Focus on value – Focus on introducing technology because we should do it to meet a customer’s requirement, not because we can do it to keep up with the latest technology fad.
- Keep things simple – Managing technology and technology-based solutions is complex and growing in difficulty. Keeping it simple for the end-user allows other departments to concentrate on their own missions rather than being concerned about technology.
- Act ethically – As employees of a government organization, we owe the public that funds us a responsibility to perform our duties in a manner that upholds high ethical standards.
- Treat others with respect and dignity – Work by the “Golden Rule” whereas we treat others in the same manner that we would like to be treated ourselves.
Visit our interactive Geographical Information Systems (GIS) maps to gain valuable information about the City of Bryan including:
- Aerial maps
- Attendance zones of Bryan schools
- City parks
- Property lines
- Waste collection schedule maps
- New development