Travis Bryan Midtown Park
Officials Break Ground on Legends Event Center
Aggieland’s premier indoor sports and event center is one step closer to reality. Members of the Bryan City Council were joined by representatives from Destination Bryan, SpawGlass, PBK Sports and Sports Facilities Companies on Tuesday, June 29, 2021 to celebrate the ceremonial groundbreaking of the facility that will put Bryan on the map as a destination for indoor events.
The Legends Event Center will feature a large indoor court/event space with space for up to 16 volleyball/8 basketball courts that can be used for a variety of activities, including gymnastics and wrestling meets, meetings, pickleball tournaments, archery and cheerleading competitions, boxing and soccer matches, dance and martial arts competitions, e-gaming conventions, trade shows, markets and other special events. The facility also will include concessions, an arcade, party rooms, an e-sports room, turf space and a flex space for smaller events.
The ultimate purpose of the center is to fill a need that is not met in the community – to create a one-of-a-kind venue unmatched anywhere nearby and increase tourism spending in Bryan. But the facility also will be available to local residents. City staff anticipate there will be designated times for residents to use the facility, and that the party rooms and flex space will be heavily used by Bryan residents.
The facility will be located on the northwest side of the lake, further to the northern edge of the park. Construction has already begun and is expected to be complete in late 2022. The facility is expected to open in late 2022.
About the Project: Making the Park Unique
The new Travis Bryan Midtown Park will be a world-class destination featuring outdoor athletic fields, the Legends Event Center indoor recreation facility and nature-based recreation opportunities. And integrated social and ecological approach that promotes public health, cultural awareness and environmental stewardship is desired. In addition, the new park must be unique in purpose as well as design to provide a catalyst for the positive redevelopment of the entire Midtown corridor.
The City of Bryan contracted with Burditt Consultants to develop a feasibility study and Master Plan for a new regional park, located at the former Travis B. Bryan Municipal Golf Course, the existing Williamson Park, and Astin Recreation Area.
Programming directives, identified throughout the process, are summarized under the attributes of function, form, economy and time. They include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Bryan desires to create a world-class destination that is also an amenity for the local community
- Consider access and programs for all individuals in the community
- Consider an integrated ecological approach that preserves existing habitat and offers opportunities for education as well as interactive experiences with nature
- Consider safety throughout the site and delineate certain areas, inside and outside, for certain activities or groups
- Park will be both a regional destination and a significant local amenity and the quality of design and construction must be of a high level
- Operation and maintenance considerations such as access, specialized equipment, and storage must also be considered
- Plan for the long-term commitment for high quality programs and facilities
- The former golf course topography, existing vegetation, lake, and surrounding community create exceptional forces to which the park plan must respond
- Design must seek to minimize environmental impacts and consider sustainable design practices and possible third party certifications from agencies such as the US Green Building Council LEED or SITES program
- Create a place of lasting beauty that makes people want to visit
- The park must be built in phases, the Master Plan must identify the common support facilities, utilities and other amenities to serve all phases equally
- Phasing should be designed to provide fully functional facilities at each stage of development
BigShots Aggieland Officially Breaks Ground!
Representatives of BigShots Aggieland and the City of Bryan officially broke ground on April 7, 2021, on the 35,000‐square‐foot cutting‐edge golf, dining and entertainment venue. There were demos of the BigShots technology, as well as official ground breaking ceremonies, and symbolic “first drive” exploding golf balls.
The City of Bryan is proud to be partnering with ClubCorp to bring this game-changing entertainment and culinary experience to the new Travis Bryan Midtown Park. This venue will be part of a wealth of recreational amenities at the new park complex in Midtown Bryan.
Located in the heart of Bryan-College Station, the two‐story BigShots Aggieland, the fourth BigShots Golf location nationwide, will include 60 game bays and is expected to open to the public in late 2021 or early 2022.
BigShots Aggieland will feature cutting edge technology that includes a Doppler radar tracking system designed for players of all ages and skill levels. Avid golfers can play full rounds on virtual golf courses all over the world, while novice players, families and children can take part in interactive games such as Knockout and Pinball.
Track the Transformation
View photos of the progress made on the project