Woodville Road will be closed between Woody Lane and Old Hearne Road from Friday, Sept. 11, 2020 until further notice as part of the Woodville Road Sewer Line Improvements Project.
Planning and Development Services
Modified Operations in Response to COVID-19
The Development Services Department offices in the Bryan Municipal Office Building, 300 S. Texas Avenue, have re-opened to the public.
For the safety of our customers and employees, no more than four (4) customers are allowed to enter the department’s lobby at one time so that we can practice the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) social distancing recommendations. All visitors must sign in at the security desk in the main entrance lobby.
Customers are encouraged to continue to use this website for information regarding development-related activities, including the city’s online map portal.
Thank you for helping us stay safe!
Avoid Long Wait Times
In order to avoid long customer wait times, you are strongly encouraged to continue to contact staff by phone, email, and/or fax during regular business hours (Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m.)
No Cash Payments
The department is not accepting cash payments at this time. Credit card payments are accepted over the phone.
Planning and Development
- Phone: (979) 209-5030
- Fax: (979) 209-5035
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: (979) 209-5010
- Fax: (979) 209-5035
- Email: email@example.com
Changes to Specific Services
Click on each section for details and guidance
Planning and Development
- For the safety of our customers and employees, we strongly encourage electronic application submissions. Applications payments can be made over the phone at (979) 209-5030.
- Planning staff are available by phone at (979) 209.5030 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-in staffer on-call service remains suspended.
- (Pre-)development meetings are offered only via audio/video conference calls. In-person meetings remain suspended.
- Please continue to check this site for possible changes to previously scheduled board and commission meetings (e.g., Planning and Zoning, Historic Landmark Commission, Zoning Board of Adjustment, Building and Standards Commission).
- There are no changes to the city’s Site Development Review Committee (SDRC) process. Applications and revisions to previously submitted applications for review by the SDRC should be emailed to email@example.com.
- For questions regarding the SDRC process, please contact Development Administrator Lauren Hovde at firstname.lastname@example.org or at (979) 209-5030.
Garage Sale Permits
- For the safety of our customers and employees, we strongly encourage electronic garage sale permit application submissions.
- Customers wishing to obtain garage sale permits can request permits over the phone at (979) 209-5010 or by email to email@example.com. Customers must call (979) 209-5010 to remit permit fees and provide a valid email address. Staff will then email the garage sale permit for customers to print themselves so that it can be displayed during the sale.
- We strongly encourage customers to follow CDC recommendations on social distancing when conducting garage sales.
Building Permits (Residential and Commercial)
- For the safety of our customers and employees, we strongly encourage electronic permit application submissions.
- Customers can call (979) 209-5010 to remit permit fees and provide a valid email address. Staff will email the permit for customers to print themselves and display on the job site.
- Customers can expect city staff to continue to respond to building permit applications by email or phone within or before 10 business days from the date the application was received. Permit forms are available at here and can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The department will not accept paper applications at this time.
- Requested corrections to submitted permit applications must be sent by email directly to the plans reviewer, to email@example.com, or faxed to (979) 209-5035.
- Contractor registrations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to (979) 209-5035.
- For the safety of our customers and employees, we strongly encourage electronic and over-the-phone building inspections scheduling.
- Building inspections can be scheduled by calling 979.209.5010 or by emailing email@example.com.
- On project sites, inspection personnel will be requesting limited in-person contact and practicing social distancing measures (e.g., maintaining a distance of at least 6 feet from others).
- Non-essential interior inspections that do not have a life-safety component on occupied homes and businesses remain suspended until further notice. For these types of inspections, inspection personnel will contact permit holders individually and determine if remote inspections methods can be used to safely conduct an inspection.
- Emergency inspections will be performed as determined necessary.
Planning for Bryan’s Future
As Bryan continues to grow as a community, the City has to have plans in place to manage that growth and assure that new infrastructure and development fits in with the character and quality of life that make Bryan unique. That’s where long-range planning comes in. The City’s Comprehensive Plan, and specific area plans, provide a vision to guide Bryan’s growth and development for the near term and for years to come.
Who We Are, and What We Do
The Development Services Department, which includes the Planning and Building Services divisions, plays a vital role in maintaining the vitality of the City of Bryan. The department provides citizens and development professionals with the information and support they need to expeditiously and safely design and build quality commercial and residential projects in our city.
The mission of the Development Services Department is to provide quality customer services and education through teamwork and positive relationships to guide and promote development which helps build and maintain a valued community for current and future generations.
- Administration of development related ordinances:
- Chapter 62: Land and Site Development
- Chapter 98: Signs
- Chapter 110: Subdivisions
- Chapter 130: Zoning
- Ensuring that all construction occurs in accordance with all applicable laws, ordinances, and building codes
- Issuing permits and licenses for construction, renovation, garage sales, vendors, solicitors, and signs
- Identifying and coordinating the demolition of dangerous structures
- Developing and implementing strategic plans for future growth and revitalization
- Work with appointed boards, commissions, and committees to ensure development related issues are resolved in an expedient and professional manner
- Kevin Russell
- Martin Zimmermann, AICP
- Lauren Hovde, AICP
- Randy Haynes, AICP, Planning Administrator
- Lindsay Hackett, AICP, Project Planner
- Allison Kay, Staff Planner
- Katie Williams, AICP, Staff Planner
- Megan Hancock, Dev. Services Technician
- Sarah Bergman, Dev. Services Technician
- Charmaine McKinzie, CAP, Dev. Services Staff Assistant
- Paige Jackson, Dev. Services Staff Assistant
For general planning inquiries, please contact Planning Services.
- Joy Teague, Dev. Services Representative
- Yajaira Rivera, Dev. Services Representative
- Heather Heath, Dev. Services Representative
- Greg Cox, CBO, CFM, Chief Building Official
- Karen Lahde, Plans Examiner-Commercial
- Craig Tepera, Plans Examiner-Residential
- Lisa Miller, Stormwater Quality Inspector
- Jerry Fagan, Building Inspector
- Kenny Johnson, Building Inspector
- Danny Sikorski, Building Inspector (Part-time)
- Chris Mushinski, Plumbing/Mechanical Inspector (Part-time)
- Joe Nuche, Electrical Inspector
- Derrick Williams, Plumbing/Mechanical/Building Inspector
- Nick Koski, Combination Building Inspector
- Josh Hall, Electrical inspector
For general building services inquiries, please contact Building Services.
Hours / Directions
Bryan Municipal Office Building
300 S. Texas Avenue (First floor)
Bryan, TX 77803
- Office Hours:
Monday – Friday, 7:45 a.m. – 5 p.m.
News and Updates
- Planning and Development Services News
- Planning and Development Review Application Status Updates
Updated Dec. 30, 2019
- Archived Meeting Agendas and Meeting Minutes
- Building Permits and Development Review Applications
- Building and Planning FAQ
- Census 2020: Everyone Counts
- Commercial Building Design Guidelines and Color Palette
- Comprehensive Plan (BluePrint 2040)
- Development Regulations and Guidelines
- Garage Sale Permits
- Grant Program Applications
- GIS Maps (Streets, properties, addressing, planning and zoning, new development)
- Long-Range Planning
- Midtown Area Plan
- Monthly Building Reports
- Ordinances and Guidelines
- Planning and Development Boards, Commissions, and Committees
- Planning and Development Services News
- Residential – Neighborhood Conservation (R-NC) Zoning Districts
- Subdivision Plats
The City of Bryan Development Services Department cares about customer satisfaction and we want to know what you think about the service we provide.