The City of Bryan’s Planning and Development Services Department was awarded the 2022 Richard R. Lillie, FAICP Planning Excellence Recognition Program from the Texas Chapter of the American Planning Association for the seventh consecutive year. The City of Bryan is one of 44 municipalities throughout Texas to be recognized.
The award recognizes planning departments in the state that increase community awareness of the importance of planning, aid in economic development, assist with the overall community image, and support educational development for staff and appointed planning officials.
Working hand-in-hand with the Planning and Zoning Commission, the Historic Landmark Commission, the City Council, and the community at-large, Planning and Development Services staff focuses their efforts on providing quality customer service and maintaining positive relationships to guide and promote quality development. Their planning efforts have resulted in award-winning projects for Historic Downtown, the Innovation Corridor, and Midtown. These and other planning projects help make Bryan a thriving, unique, and livable community.
2022 Planning and Development Services Stats
- 846 construction permits were issued for new detached single-family homes; in 2018 there were 466 and 154 in 2013.
- 27,000 building inspections were performed, that’s 104 per work day.
- On average, one commercial and seven residential permits were issued per business day.
- 26 condemned structures were removed through the Substandard Structure Abatement Program; total of 560 removed since 2010.
- 261 redevelopment applications and 228 new development review cases were processed, and 105 pre-development meetings were held.
- Staff answered hundreds of calls each week and prepared 54 Council Action Forms.
To learn more about the City of Bryan’s Planning and Development Services, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 979.209.5030.