On Friday, Sept.15, City of Bryan Planning staff members accepted the 2023 General Plan Award from the American Planning Association Texas Chapter’s Central Section.
City of Bryan Mosquito Abatement Program
Do you have standing or slow-moving water around your property? Through the City of Bryan’s Mosquito Abatement Program, residents can get dunks or plunks for free by visiting the Municipal Service Center, located at 1111 Waco St., on weekdays from 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. while supplies last. If you are a representative for a neighborhood or homeowner association, please call 979.209.5900 to schedule an appointment for pickup.
The goal of the program is for citizens to assist with treating possible breeding grounds in order to reduce the mosquito population and the possibility of exposure to mosquito-borne diseases. Mosquito dunks/plunks are environmentally-friendly and can be placed where water cannot be drained to kill mosquito larvae.
Residents can take these additional steps to prevent mosquito breeding on their own property:
- Drain any standing water from even the smallest of containers – this includes tarps, covers, flower pots, children’s toys, etc.
- If you have old tires, recycle them for free at the city’s Used Oil and Tire Recycling Center.
- Clean debris from rain gutters and remove any standing water under or around structures, or on flat roofs.
- Check around faucets and air conditioner units and repair leaks or eliminate puddles that remain for several days.
- Change the water in birdbaths, pet dishes, wading pools, and livestock water troughs frequently.
Personal Protection Measures
- Use DEET: Use insect repellents containing DEET or other EPA-approved repellents.
- Dress Appropriately: When you’ll be outdoors, wear light-colored and loose-fitting, long sleeves and pants.
For more information about mosquito-borne diseases and prevention, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.