Effective immediately: Due to staffing requirements, funeral escorts will not be available three (3) hours prior to the start of TAMU home football games, and three (3) hours after the completion of the game.
Police Escort Service: Policies and Procedures
Scheduling the Escort
More Than 24 Hours Before Escort Start Time:
- Go to the Police Escorts section (above) and complete the escort form and PayPal billing. An escort request must be submitted at least 24 Hours prior to the escort or it is NOT guaranteed to be filled.
- A Credit Card/Debit Card is required to submit the online escort request. We accept MasterCard, Visa, and Discover.
Less than 24 Hours Before Escort Start Time:
- If the request is submitted prior to 24 hours, you MUST submit the above form and call the Bryan Police Department at 979-209-5300 to notify them of the escort and that it is last minute. An escort that ends up not being filled will be refunded through PayPal.
- If the online form cannot be submitted for some sort of technical reason, email email@example.com with all of the required information and advise the reason for not submitting via website. You will receive an email reply advising receipt of escort information. *Do not call/text the escort phone or leave a message and expect the escort to be scheduled*
- If there is a problem with the payment, you must contact PayPal to resolve the issues. If the issue cannot be immediately resolved, you need to contact the escort coordinator to make payment arrangements or the escort may not be filled.
More Than 24 Hours Before Escort Start Time:
- If a change needs to be made before 24 hours of the originally scheduled escort, then email the escort coordinator with the information to be changed at firstname.lastname@example.org. Include a contact name and phone number in the email.
Less Than 24 Hours Before Escort Time:
- If the escort time or location needs to be changed within 24 hours of the originally scheduled escort time, then contact the Bryan Police Department at 979-209-5300 with the changes in addition to sending an email to the escort coordinator at email@example.com. The Police Department will then contact escort coordinator and advise of any changes.
- *Do not submit an additional internet form to change a previous submitted form. Do not call or text the escort phone with changes to an escort. You must email changes and/or call the Police Department*
- Any time changes made within 24 hours of the originally scheduled escort are not guaranteed. You may be billed for additional time.
Minimum Number of Officers
Escorts Involving Procession of Cars (Funeral Escorts, Dignitary Escorts, etc.)
- One to Twenty vehicles – 2 Officers
- Twenty-one to Forty Vehicles – 3 Officers
- Forty-one or more – 4 Officers
- The escort coordinator or escort team may add addition officers to account for large escorts, route, or other circumstances.
Oversized Load Escort (Houses, Large Machinery/Equipment, etc.)
- Minimum of 3 Officers for one vehicle
- Other officers may be summoned on a case by case basis.
- The credit card will be charged prior to the escort date and is subject to additional charges if more officers are needed and/or the escort time exceeds 2 hours. The Escort Coordinator or On-Duty Supervisor may summon more officers due to extenuating circumstances.
- If addition billing is required, a bill will be mailed requesting the additional funds.
- $70 per hour for each officer with a minimum of 2 hours
Escort Driving Etiquette
- It is the responsibility of the funeral home to advise all involved in the escort to turn on headlights during the escort. This makes it easier for the officers to identify those vehicles involved in the escort.
- The lead vehicle shall follow 5-6 car lengths behind the lead police vehicle assuming this police vehicle is setting a static speed. Obviously this does not apply if the lead police vehicle leaves the group to cover an intersection. When this occurs, the lead funeral home vehicle shall maintain the same speed previously set.
- The funeral home lead driver will always stay in the right-most lane unless otherwise instructed to by an officer. This allows the left lane to be safely used by the officers.
- The officers conducting the escort determine the speed. This will depend on traffic and road conditions. Please pay attention to the officers and obey their request. Safety of the procession is the primary concern and full cooperation with the escorting officers if greatly appreciated.
- Escort Coordinator: 979-820-2667, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Bryan Police Department: 979-209-5300